“I arrange home tuition for K as I want to cut down on his travelling time. However, I realise the tutor gave him a lot of exampapers to practice and he was overloaded with school work and tuition work. More importantly, he didn’t feel like doing them after some time. As parents, I know it’s my job to encourage him but it reaches a point that it pains to see him struggling with those exampapers. To be frank, I didn’t see significant improvement in K’s Chemistry results as well. Drilling approach didn’t work out for K.
I observed that K came back after lesson and was seen doing the given homework. I was pleasantly surprised. I’m guessing the difference between his home tuition and group tuition was that he was taught the basics before he was asked to do the homework. The number of questions was also reasonable and fair. I’m glad that I didn’t have to sit beside him and motivate him. It was a positive change. He also requested to continue with the weekly classes next year. Thank you.” Mrs Tan, Mother of K who is studying in Gan Eng Seng School.
Does it sound familiar? Are you facing similar problems with home tuition?
Through our conversation with Mrs Tan, she finally realised that home tuition arrangement works best for students who
- have questions to ask. In short, students who are already scoring more than 70%.
- are outspoken.
- dare to challenge their home tutor.
- have crystal clear understanding on what they know and what they don’t know.
Pros of home tuition
- At the convenience of your place
- At the convenience of your child’s availability
- Catered to your child’s pace, style and ability
Cons of home tuition
- Too comfortable, too familiar, too relaxing an environment might slow down learning speed
- You will not know if your tutor is doing their job efficiently. That means you could be wasting your hard-earned money and more importantly wasting precious time
- Most tutors don’t have a systematic system of teaching. It’s all about doing questions from assessment book, other school exampaper, school homework
- You usually wait till major examinations to find out if the home tuition was effective and it is often too late
- You are at the mercy of your tutor’s availability. Don’t your child’s lesson get cancelled at the last minute? Or worse, we have heard horrible stories of tutors missing in action, remain uncontactable